Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Bet on Your Strengths

If you had extra money to invest where would you put it? Would you buy stocks in a company or industry that has not performed well or given favorable results? Or would you invest in a thriving industry with innovative promising products? If your answer is that you will bet your money on the successful company or industry, you may heading in the right direction. Common sense, right?

The same thinking applies to our work skills when it comes to strengths and weaknesses. I shamelessly confess my Japanese could be better. It is my 3rd language and I am weak at it. If I really made an effort and studied hard, would I see improvement? I think I definitely would and I have improved, but, to be honest, studying Japanese does not turn me on. Do not hate me for this. I am leading to the following: Should you be focusing on getting better at something you're good at or working in your areas of weakness?

Marcus Buckingham in Go Put Your Strengths to Work, says you will see much higher incremental improvement working on those activities you enjoy and are good at than at trying to work on a skill or activity to do not enjoy. Does this mean you should remain mediocre and weak at a specific work skill? Not at all. There is always room for improvement in any area and despite your level of expertise or interest. Corporations spend billions and billions of dollars on training programs to help employees go from good to better, better to best, best to great and great to Guru. It is part of your job to seek to remedy performance issues by improving your performance.

In a nutshell, yes, do work on areas you may need to work on. That is your professional duty to always seek to improve and evolve; however, by far, you will for sure see better results and get more job satisfaction by focusing on further improving on the tasks that your love: Your strengths.

Have a good Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment